Thursday, March 3, 2011

The Tobacco Project

Tonight I was chatting with Chris, and we touched briefly on self sustainability and what will happen when the balloon goes up.  Needless to say, at those times you need to have barter material available and knowledge to carry you through the future.

I mentioned that I attempted to grow tobacco last year, but failed due to everything drying out while I was on trip.

This got me to thinking that I might give it another go….so off to The Tobacco Seed Company I went.

After perusing stock, this is what I came up with to try -

Cuban Havana Tobacco PlantCUBAN (HABANO 2000)

One of the most popular cigar varieties for cigar enthusiasts.

This Cuban variety grows to about 5-6 feet tall and has wide, rounded  leaves. When cured the leaves have a reddish to light brown color. It makes a great filler for cigars.
Has a pleasant, mild aroma and taste much preferred for cigars and pipes alike.

 

Cuban Havana Petit Plants in fieldCUBAN (CRIOLLO 98)

Another very popular Cuban cigar variety. Will grow up to 6-7 ft. tall. It's leaves are longer, more slender and slightly darker than the Habano 2000. It's cured leaves have a silky texture making it a good covering for cigars. It has a pleasant, mild aroma and taste. Also suitable for pipe smoking.

GOOSE CREEK RED
Named after a small river  that runs into the Charleston Harbor. The Goose Creek Red tobacco was native to this area.
This darker tobacco does turn to red as it dries and has a silky feel, making it ideal as a wrapper for cigars.

Finally, I am going to try one of the pelleted seeds as well. 

TENNESSEE BURLEY™ PELLETED TOBACCO SEEDS
One of the most popular commercial strains of Burley tobacco originating in Tennessee and still carrying its name.
It is used for its hardiness and smooth, rich flavor. Good for cigarette making and mild cigars. This variety grows fast and is a high yielding plant.

I also have a few other varieties in my seed bank, so I might look to put out one other.

So, stay tuned and see what comes out.

FOR the RECORD……this tobacco is for personal consumption only.  It will NOT be sold.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Web Statistics