My Menu is filling up for when I get back from this trip. I think I can do a full course by the time this is over.
IRISH WHISKEY STEAK
4 to 6 servings
This recipe is an authentic Irish offering. It is rich in flavor and rather decadent….not for everyday eating….but special occasion dining. Serve with fresh asparagus for a nice pairing of flavors.
- 1½ to 2 pounds boneless beef sirloin, sirloin tip, rib-eye, chuck, or top round steak, cut about 1 to 1¼-inch thick (see note)
- Freshly ground black pepper to taste (medium to coarse grind)
- 1 to 2 tablespoons butter or margarine or extra virgin olive oil or other cooking oil (corn, canola or safflower oil)
- Salt to taste
- ½ to ¾ cup Irish whiskey or bourbon
- ½ cup light cream or half-and-half (see note)
- About ½ cup minced parsley (no stems), divided
- Paprika as desired for garnish
Rub the steak, all over, with pepper as desired. In a large heavy skillet, heat oil over moderate to high heat. Add steak to skillet and panfry, about 3 to 5 minutes per side, depending upon desired doneness of steak. Drain off fat from pan. Evenly pour whiskey over beef; reduce heat and continue cooking for 1 minute. Add cream and half of the parsley to skillet, blending well.
To serve, cut the steak into individual serving pieces; arrange steak pieces on a warm platter or individual dinner plates. Evenly pour whiskey gravy over steak pieces. Garnish with remaining parsley and a sprinkle of paprika.
Note: If using beef round steak, may wish to tenderize meat by pounding steak with a meat mallet. Round steak is often not as tender as other cuts of meat.
Note: May omit cream or half-and-half, if desired; use ½ cup milk or reduced-fat or skim milk. However the flavor will not be as rich.
Variations: Sauté 8 to 12 ounces thinly sliced fresh mushrooms in the hot oil until just tender and lightly browned before pan-frying steak; remove mushrooms with a slotted spoon, draining oil back into skillet, and set aside while preparing meat. Return mushrooms to gravy just before serving.
Sauté ½ cup chopped sweet red pepper with the mushrooms and add to gravy.