Friday, May 4, 2012

Dark Helmet vs Dark Helmet vs Dark Helmet

How about a little fun on May the 4th? 

Spaceballs is probably one of the funniest parody movies I have seen (although VHF still takes the cake).  Some parts work and some parts don’t – but for overall effort, I give a solid B.Dark Helmet 2

A few days ago – the guys at Fireball Whisky sent me a tweet asking if I had seen the Spaceballs Beer.  I immediately jumped on the case – quickly learning that there are actually two, from two separate breweries and BOTH named Dark Helmet.

Brew KettleSadly, both look to be regionals – one in Ohio and the other in South Carolina – but I do not give up hope that I can get some to try. 

In fact, if the folks at Westbrook and The Brew Kettle were willing to send me a few samples, I would put them Head to Head – to see which one will be the Official Beer of Smokes and Booze. (Please Please Please).

Now – if you are a home brewer, I did find a recipe for Dark Helmet Schwarzbier.  I can’t vouch for taste (although I would be willing to try it), but here is a reprint just for you.

Dark Helmet – (Schwarzbier)

Starting Gravity: 1.059 (4/17/11)
Secondary Gravity: 1.015 (5/2/11) (Lagering)
Final Gravity: 1.015 (6/15/11)
5.9% alcohol (by volume)
Apparent Attenuation: 73.6%
Real Attenuation: 60.3%

Mash (154º for 80 min)
5.0 lbs Pilsner Malt
6.0 lbs Munich Malt
5 oz Crystal 60L
7 oz Chocolate Malt
4 oz Black Roasted Barley
4 oz Carafa II

Boil (90 min)
1.5 oz Hallertau Pellet Hops (3.8 AA) (60 min)
0.5 oz Hallertau Pellet Hops (3.8 AA) (20 min)
0.5 oz Hallertau Pellet Hops (3.8 AA) (0 min)
1 tablet Whirlfloc (Boil – 15 min.)
½ tsp Brewer’s Choice Wyeast Nutrient Blend (Boil – 10 min.)

Primary (50º F for ~2 weeks, including a diacetyl rest)
Wyeast 2124 Bohemian Lager – Starter Made
WLP830 German Lager Yeast – Starter Made

Secondary (34º F for ~6 weeks)

So – Which Dark Helmet ranks Supreme?  Only time will tell, but for now…..its this one (NSFW Language) – May the Schwartz Be With You

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Web Statistics