Saturday, November 7, 2009

Hung over Saturday

Uuuugh, why am I hungover and have the worst gas in forever? Three words - Family Game Night.

It all started innocently enough, last night was the night we taught our son James to play Monopoly. Now, James is a math wiz and even though he is younger than the suggested age, we didn't think that would be a problem.

Overall, the game went well....both Debi and I decided we wouldn't play cutthroat with him, but we didn't baby him either. The problem was, while we were playing nice with James....we were Monopoly Busting each other. So that translates to James having the only Monopolies, only houses and only hotels.....ie, the winner.

He was ecstatic.

Throughout the game, I was drinking Gimlets. Lately, I have been on a Gin kick....and Debi was to tired to make martinis, so I went with the old standard. The problem with that, I was mixing them myself. Ask anyone who I bar tend for, I am an enabler and make super strong drinks. If I am by myself, I am 20 times worse.

So, by the time FGN was over and I was watching Boise State survive the scare from LaTech , I was just doing a cursory wave of the lime juice at gin in the glass. My Gimlet had turned into Gin on the Rocks.

By now I'm sure you are saying "But Ed, Gin doesn't give you gas....it's not even carbonated". You are right, it doesn't....BUT, I have been on the Nutrisystem Diet (Don't ask) and my new shipment came in yesterday. Inside was my favorite lunch meal, Black Beans and Rice (with Sausage), and yes.....I ate three of them. So much for the diet, and boy does it stink the next day.

What is the moral of this story? Well, I can't think of one....other than diets suck.

On to the review -

THE GIMLET

I use the traditional mix as follows:

# 2 oz. gin
# 1/2 ounce Rose's lime juice

Pretty simple huh. Not a lot to remember. Even Glenn couldn't forget this one. I do stick with Rose's Lime Juice no matter what though, just because it's the best.

Generic Lime Juice mixed with Bombay Gin is like a $2 Hooker in your Ferrari.

Gimlets are not something I would pay for in a bar either.

First I don't think I could bring myself to say the name. I would feel like I was asking the Bartender to share a bathroom stall with me or something.

Secondly, if I'm in a bar...there are so many other things to choose from, why waste the opportunity on such a simple drink.

All this being said though, Gimlets are a pretty simple (yet tasty) drink when at home and I recommend everyone to try one...you might find that you have a new nightcap.

Cheers.

2 comments:

  1. Gin and Juice... I think I can get that one down!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Try ordering a gimlet in a bar, and the bartender asks "vodka or gin"! I nearly had to choke someone!

    ReplyDelete

 
Web Statistics