Friday, February 4, 2011

Melville Winery 2002 Syrah (Review)

Sometimes I should just stay away from the Wine Cabinet and stick with beer. 

Tonight I was in a red wine mood.  It had NOTHING to do with the meal we were having (Lemon Pepper Chicken with a pasta salad), it was just one of those things.

So, without thinking, I just grab a bottle out of the cabinet, check that it is a red and uncork.

Little did I realize it was one of the Charity Night Wines, and probably the nicest bottle out of the set.  Oh well….it better be good Smile with tongue out

Melville Winery- 2002 Estate Syrah – Santa Rita Hills

 

Release Date 03.26.04

2,484 cases produced, $20/bottle (currently $35-$45 a bottle)

  • Color-Dark Inky Purple, honestly the words that came to my mind when I poured this were “Liquid Midnight”
  • Nose- Pepper & Earthy with hints of leather and smoke (but not peat)
  • Taste- Really liked the acidity.  Not very sweet, yet had a full “grapeyness” with underlying tones of blackberries.
  • Feel- Again, the heavy acidity and dryness (tannins) lead to a prolonged finish at the back of the palette.

Overall, I really liked this wine and will now have to find some online to replace it.  I could see it pairing very nicely to a nice filet and some bacon wrapped asparagus.  Definitely a “Food Wine”, it still held it’s own as a “sit down drinker”.  If I were stocking a new cabinet, and had access to it, this would be a good base wine to put back.  4 out of 5 Stars for me.  I really should learn to look at the labels before I uncork….but hey, it was good to drink while watching the Irish beat DePaul.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Web Statistics