Even more reviews pouring in to start 2012 off right.
Randy over at MySideoftheBar sends in three quick reviews of whiskeys - Devil’s Cut, Maker’s Mark 46 and (ri)1.
The Devil’s Cut
While not a particular fan of Jim Beam, I had to try this Whiskey due to, well marketing strategy. I would also like to state that just because I am a fan or not a fan of a Whiskey it does not necessarily make it bad or good. After all, why are they so many Whiskey choices? Because there are so many different tastes.
So what is the Devil’s Cut?
Here is a statement from the Jim Beam Website:
As bourbon ages, a portion of the liquid is lost from the barrel due to evaporation—that's the "Angel's Share." After aging, when the bourbon is dumped out of the barrel, a certain amount of whiskey is left trapped within the wood of every barrel.
We call that the "devil's cut."
You can read more about the Devil’s Cut here:
My Take on the Devil’s Cut-
- The Nose – Well what can I say, it was strong, bold and a Bourbon.
- Taste – Very strong Bourbon taste, however what was odd was that it did not have the taste I usually associate with Jim Beam. Some hints of vanilla and sweetness on the lips.
- Finish – Strong Bourbon finish and still a hint of sweet, however the wood taste is still very present.
The Devil’s Cut is not a Bourbon that I would order on a regular basis, however after drinking a generous portion it did grow on me and even mellowed some.
Makers Mark 46
I drink Makers Mark Bourbon in my Manhattans as it is easy to find in most bars and has a little extra sweetness that is great in Manhattans.
According to the Makers 46 Website, Makers 46 the reinvention
(of the reinvention) of bourbon.
My Take on Makers 46-
- The Nose – Very mellow with sweet hints and smoother that the regular Makers Mark Bourbon.
- Taste – Very smooth with some sweetness and spice
- Finish – Very smooth and mellow finish
I did enjoy Makers 46 and would order and drink it again in the future.
(ri)1 – Pronounced Rye One is an excellent Rye whiskey. However that said you have to enjoy Rye to enjoy Rye One.
(ri)1 is a Kentucky Straight rye whiskey produced by Beam Global Spirits (Jim Beam) although they do not really acknowledge it on their website.
My Take on (ri)1-
- Nose – Very, very smooth with hints of grain, some may even say grass (it is the Rye)
- Taste – More of the grain (Rye) and a mellow spice
- Finish – As with all Rye (and most Canadian) Whiskey the finish is very smooth.
I would order and purchase (ri)1 again and this will also be named as the preferred Rye Whiskey of MySideOfTheBar for 2011.