Friday, June 22, 2012

Perennial Beer–The Saga

I really struggled on how to do this review – because there are so many elements at play, but I think this is the best (and most efficient) way and it gets all the details out there.  So, I’ll start with an overview and individual pages for each beer (linked below).
Last night I attended a Beer Pairing Dinner at 44 Stone.  The brewery we were working with was Perennial Artisan Ales out of St. Louis, a brewery I have touched on twice in the past – Black Walnut and of course the (now) infamous Saison De Lis.
Logo
I say infamous, because I was very critical of this Saison and it received one of the worst reviews I had written in awhile (although not as bad as Southern Comfort Fiery Pepper).
Anyway, as fate would have it – at the dinner, who should coincidently sit across from me – but Phil Wymore, Brewmaster and Co-Founder of Perennial Artisan Ales…..and he knew exactly who I was.  Needless to say, there were some tense moments, but in the end – I explained why I was there, to give Perennial another shot and realizing that their beers might actually pare better with food vs just pulling one out of the fridge.  I am happy to say that in the end, I was right (although the Saison De Lis is still my least favourite), food pairing definitely had an impact and we (Phil and I) left as friends.
Here are the beers in the order of serving (the links will be updated as I finish each review) -
Menu 44 Stone Public House on Urbanspoon

1 comment:

  1. this looked like one first class event, sorry I missed it
    Cheers

    ReplyDelete

 
Web Statistics