Monday, May 24, 2010

The calm before the storm

There is a certain beauty to sitting outside right before a storm.

As I type this, I have drug my laptop to the extent of the wireless range, to watch an incoming storm and enjoy a smoke.

The moon is close to full (if not) and an unusual SE to NW storm is working towards me.  The lightning on the horizon as it closes in, coupled with the still night air (aside from the bats nailing bugs and frogs in the pasture) totally make a perfect smoking environment.

Tonight I am smoking one of my initial Cigar.com Cigar of the Month Club (Happy Fathers Day to me) cigars, a Gurkha Centurion.  I know I have been lazy and haven't outlined what was in the initial package yet (even though I have already sampled AND LOVED the Man O’ War), but tonight is just about enjoyment.

First of all, I love the Gurkha Line of cigars.  Hands down.  The are fantastic sticks and once that frequent my humidor often. 

Wrapper: Connecticut / DR
Binder: Dominican
Filler: Dominican

Light and Draw: Easier than what I expected.  This stick stayed light the entire smoke and maintained the hold on the ash the entire way.

Taste: I definitely get the pepper that other reviewers note, yet something seems hidden behind everything that I can’t quite put my finger on.  It that “Something” that keeps bringing me back to Gurkha.  There is an earthy aftertaste, although it is not either unpleasant nor overpowering.  In fact, this is one of the smother Gurkhas I have tried.

Past the Sweet spot:  Once the cigar hit the sweet spot, it just kept going and going.  Twice I had to set it down to go inside (my son is sleeping on the couch due to the storm) and I picked it up mid-stride just fine.

Pairing:  As you may know from my previous posts, I am totally in love with Blackheart Premium Rum.  And when you pair this with cigars (in this case the Gurkha Centurion), it makes for an excellent evening.  The pepper of the cigar intermingles well with the spices of the rum to create a Caribbean experience for me here in in MidMo.

Overall, I like this cigar and I will be adding 5-10 sticks to the humidor for a rum night and friends over. 

I would recommend this to any of my friends and KNOW that I my guarantee to buy back what they don't like would never be envoked.

Great Smoke.  4 out of 5 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Web Statistics