Saturday, November 13, 2010

A blast from the past and look to the future

A friend of mine (Sean) posted a picture that really made me reminisce of days gone by.

Back in the late 80’s, my parents shopped at an IGA Store (Bob’s IGA in Huntington).  In case you didn’t know - IGAs were founded in 1926, bringing together independent grocers across the United States to ensure that the trusted, family-owned local grocery store remained strong in the face of growing chain competition.  There were the original Anti-Walmarts.

General Generic Beer  - Pale LagerAnyway, as a younger kid (around 13-15) I would often see amongst the other generic products, something that caught my eye – BEER.  Not just any old beer, but a white can with big black letters – BEER.  My parents never bought it (my Dad was a Miller “the Champagne of Beers” guy) but later in life I did dabble in those white cans a time or two.  For a 16-18 year old, one a budget and looking for a cheap night out….they were great.  Now, as an adult….I doubt it. 

As an adult, I would do my research and come across a page like THIS, where I learn that General Generic Beer (as it as known by) is actually a Pabst Brewing product (Strike one right there) in a Pale Lager style (why not just say watered down piss….Strike two).  When you see that it rates a 1 out of 20…..well, I think that it leaves little to the imagination of the taste.

Back to the picture that Sean posted. 

I actually like the name, and find it funny they make it in a “Light” format as well.  Produced by the City Brewery (Melanie Brewing Company in La Crosse Wisconsin), I doubt that this beer is going to make any headways into refrigerators of America (especially with a rating of 3 out of 20).  I do think they are focusing on the those hit hard by the current recession….but I fail to understand how these new mass market beers can be making profit, when there are established “cheap beers” like STAG out on the market (at least it scores an 8 out of 20).

Oh well, to each his own…..and thanks Sean for pointing this one out.  What a trip down memory lane.  If any other readers spot something interesting….please pass it along.  I would love to use it.


Cheers

1 comment:

 
Web Statistics