Tuesday, June 25, 2013

If I had a Winery – THIS is how I would promote it.

  Most of you know – my brain is not in the right place.  Things that come out of my mouth, or actions I do, just seem to go into left field.

LogoThis is probably one of the reasons I could never own a business…because CHAOS would definitely ensue.

Well- I just want to take a minute to thank Journey’s End Winery….for proving that us like minded people can succeed.

You see – the fine folks at Journey’s End in South Africa decided that the perfect way to promote their new wine was to launch a Peugeot with a Trebuchet.  You know what….I am fine with this. 

Here is their Press Release and a video-

On April 2nd 2013 we embarked on the ambitious project of constructing a 60ft tall, 12.4 ton medieval trebuchet.


3 140ft tall Douglas Fir trees were carefully selected and felled at the Dudmaston Estate, nr Bridgnorth in Shropshire, as England endured a prolonged winter freeze.


The steelwork for our machine was carefully lazer cut on Monday 13th May at Marshbrook in Shropshire and works continue to have the machine ready for a trial launch on 23rd JUNE.


Once ready for assembly our trebuchet will be erected at Acton Round, Nr Bridgnorth, Shropshire and the launch will be celebrated by chucking the currently defunct organ out of the local church.


Following launch we will be taking down this magnificent engine and packing her into a 40ft container for shipment to the Journeys End Wine Estate in Stellenbosch, South Africa. Here she will hopefully enjoy a life in warmer climes and be utilised to raise funds for our local community of Sir Lowrys Pass Village.

They are even having a “Name the Trebuchet” contest

In the medieval times these magnificent machines of war were given nicknames. Names at the time  included ‘WARWOLF’, ‘GODS STONE THROWER’ and ‘BAD NEIGHBOUR’


Please send in any name suggestions to trebuchet@journeysend.co.za ...the Top 10 names Drawn on 31st September 2013 will each win a case of Trebuchet Syrah !

I am going on record with my vote - “Wine of Our Enemies”

This looked to be great fun, and hats off to the fine folks for adding some originality to marketing/advertising.

Cheers-

PS – if anyone knows where I can get a bottle in Richmond VA….email me at ed@smokesandbooze.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Web Statistics